The brand new initiative ‘Street Eats’ is set to provide Maitland residents with a range of pop up food and drink options on our streets and in our parks across Maitland, Morpeth, East Maitland, Rutherford and Thornton over the next three months.
The first truck off the rank is ‘Gourmet BBQ & Snags’ who will appear on Saturday 4 February at East Maitland Shopping Centre from 5.30pm to 8.30pm. The trailer is quite unique and they will serve up one of a kind tasty burgers and sausages.
Street Eats is a place activation initiative which started on the back of Council receiving overwhelming feedback during the consultation for the Maitland Place Activation Strategy. Hundreds of locals said they would like to see food trucks, pop up food and coffee vans bring the streets of Maitland to life.
Place Activation Officer Amber Hermann says, ‘This is something the community has already shown an interest in but what’s been just as incredible is the excitement we’ve had from food truck operators.
‘The initiative will run right up until Sunday 30 April and there will be such a broad range of different cuisines on offer there’s bound to be something for everyone. Some event dates will include a single truck, while others will operate as ‘get togethers’ and will feature up to five food operators at the same location.’
These ‘get togethers’ will be happening throughout the three month period and offer a wide range of food including tacos, pizzas, burgers, snags, ribs, vegetarian bowls and super smoothies. Dates and locations include:
- Friday 17 February at East Maitland Train Station
- Friday 24 February at Queens Wharf, Morpeth
- Saturday 25 February at Maitland Regional Art Gallery
- Friday 3 March at East Maitland Train Station
- Thursday 9 March at Riverside Car Park
- Saturday 18 March at Queens Wharf, Morpeth
- Saturday 25 March at Maitland Regional Art Gallery
- Friday 31 March at RH Taylor Reserve, Lorn
- Saturday 8 April at Riverside Car Park, Maitland
- Saturday 22 April at RH Taylor Reserve, Lorn
- Saturday 29 April at East Maitland Shopping Centre.
Locations for individual trucks that are operating throughout the next three months can be found on the website and via social media.
For more information about the Street Eats initiative and to find out more about the trucks visiting Maitland and where you can find them, go to mymaitland.com.au/streeteats/